Address: 2110 24 th Avenue South
Construction Date: 1883
Architect: Elwood S. Corser
Architectural Style: Italianate, "Boom Town"
Historic Use: Commercial/ Residential
Current Use: Private Residence
Date of Local Designation: 1983
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture; Commerce
Period of Significance: 1800-1899; 1900-
Historic Profile: The John Nordstrom Store is significant as one of the few surviving wood frame storefronts of its type and period remaining in Minneapolis. Constructed in 1883 as a speculative real estate venture by Elwood S. Corser, the building maintained its original commercial/residential function until the 1960’s. During the later half of the nineteenth century, significant numbers of storefronts of this type existed in residential areas of the city. Neighborhoods depended upon the merchandise and services offered by these small commercial enterprises, but with the expansion toward the city limits, these small "Mom and Pop" stores declined. John and Otilia Nordstrom were typical shopkeepers of the era. Emigrating from Sweden in the 1880s, they operated the grocery store until the mid 1930s when they sold the property to new shopkeepers. The building was renovated for residential usage in 1979; however, it has retained the architectural integrity of its storefront design.
1886, Interior of John Nordstrom Store, National Register of Historic Places Inventory – Nomination Form
2006, Minneapolis CPED
City of Minneapolis, "National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," April 1983.
Updated: February 2007