Public hearings for proposed special assessments

Special assessments for Public Works capital improvements are approved at public hearings. Property owners can appeal a special assessment.

Special assessment public hearings

Special assessments for capital improvements are approved at public hearings.

The City Council Climate & Infrastructure (CI) Committee holds the public hearings.

Special assessments for capital improvements are approved at public hearings.

Learn more about the Climate & Infrastructure Committee

Public hearing details and process

Public hearings are used to discuss the project and the proposed special assessments.

  • You can view proposed special assessments at the Special Assessments Office during normal business hours.
  • If you cannot attend the hearing and want to file an objection, send a written objection or statement to the City Clerk's Office prior to the public hearing.

All affected property owners are notified by mail of the public hearings.

The notice includes:

  • A brief description of the project
  • An estimate of the total cost
  • Rules for commenting or objecting, and the right to appeal

The committee will:

  • Hear all interested persons regarding the proposed assessments.
  • Consider all written objections and statements.
  • Decide whether or not to recommend the proposed assessment to the City Council.

The City Council then votes on adopting the assessment.

  • Sidewalk assessments require a majority vote.
  • All other assessments require a two thirds vote.

Appeal a special assessment

If you are a property owner who is dissatisfied with an assessment adopted by the City Council, you have 30 days to appeal the assessment to the District Court. Take these steps.

  • Serve the Mayor or City Clerk with a written Notice of Appeal.
  • File a copy of the written Notice of Appeal with the Hennepin County District Court Administrator.
    • File the notice within 10 days after its service upon the Mayor or City Clerk.
    • Be sure to include the appropriate filing fees.

Contact us

Special Assessments Office

Public Works

(For improvement projects)



505 4th Ave. S. Room 410B
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Office of City Clerk



Mailing address

City Hall
350 Fifth St. S., Room 304
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Temporary office location

250 S. Fourth St., Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Office hours

8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday