Explore this section
Note: All land use applications require a preliminary meeting with CPED staff.
Public hearing applications
- Land Use Application Packet - This application packet is used to file any land use application that requires approval by the Minneapolis City Planning Commission or the Zoning Board of Adjustment. The packet is used for gathering property-related information relevant to a land use application. It contains a checklist of materials required for a land use application, and a worksheet to be completed by the applicant. Other applications listed below may be required in addition to the Land Use application. A Spanish version of this form is available here: Solicitud General Para Uso Del Suelo
- Inclusionary Zoning Acknowledgement Plan - All newly constructed buildings with residential dwelling units of twenty (20) or more units be developed and reserved for sale or lease in accordance with the affordability standards in the City’s Unified Housing Policy. More information may be found online about Inclusionary Zoning.
- Appeal of the Zoning Administrator, City Planning Commission, or Zoning Board of Adjustment Application - Application to appeal determinations of Zoning Administrator, Actions of the City Planning Commission or Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Interim Use Application - Application to allow for a temporary use of a property until a particular date, until the occurrence of a particular event, or until the zoning regulations no longer allow it.
- Planned Unit Development (PUD) Application - This packet is used in guiding applicants through the Planned Unit Development (PUD) application process. In this packet you will find the City’s PUD regulations, a checklist of materials required for an application, and a worksheet to be completed by the applicant.
- Subdivision Approval Application - Provides the application and instructions for subdivision of any land or property within the City of Minneapolis.
- Zoning Application, Petitions and Affidavits Packet - Application and overview of the processes that allow property owners can seek rezoning of their property.
- Floor Area Ratio Premiums Application - This application allows for an increase in allowed floor area ratio in applicable districts, in conjunction with provided specified features that advance the goals of the comprehensive plan.
Heritage preservation applications
- Heritage Preservation Commission (HPC) – View the heritage preservation application forms and information (e.g. Application Procedures, Certificate of No Change, Certificate of Appropriateness, Historic Variance, Appeal of the HPC decision, meeting schedule, etc.)
Administrative review applications
- Accessory Dwelling Unit - The application, checklist, and overview of procedures and regulations that apply to the administrative zoning review of accessory dwelling units. The Covenant for Owner Occupancy must be submitted prior to obtaining final building permit approvals.
- Accessory Structures - Increasing Height or Floor Area - Application for administrative review required to allow an increase in height or floor area of accessory structures. This includes a checklist of all materials required before submitting an application.
- Administrative Site Plan Review for Single-, Two-, and Three-Family Dwellings - Application, checklist, and overview of procedures for administrative review of site plans for dwellings with one, two, or three units.
- Height Increase - Application to administratively increase the height of a principal structure in eligible districts.
- Reducing Off-Street Parking Requirements Application - Application for the reduction of minimum parking requirements based on shared parking agreements, transit incentives, valet parking, or bicycle parking.
- Sign Permit Application - Application for the installation of any sign subject to review by CPED Zoning/Land Use staff. Sign permit fees are based on the sign size and type. Note: Application must be submitted by a licensed sign contractor.
- Site Plan Review (Administrative) - Application, checklist, and overview of procedures for administrative site plan review. Administrative site plan reviews do not trigger a public hearing as outlined in Table 530-1.
- Telecommunications Towers, Antennas, and Base Units - Application, checklist, and overview of procedures for administrative review of telecommunication towers, antennas, and transmission base sites.
- Temporary Use Application - Application to allow for certain uses and structures which have only a seasonal or temporary duration such as community festivals, fresh produce stands, and temporary promotions by permanent businesses.
- Zoning and Flood Plain Letter Request Form - Application for requesting a letter that verifies the Zoning status of a property. This includes current and proposed zoning and FEMA designation.