University Avenue SE and/or 4th Street SE between Central Avenue SE and Oak Street SE is one of the busiest street locations for biking in the city and the Minneapolis Bicycle Master Plan identifies a future protected bikeway along this corridor. A protected bikeway will provide physical separation between bicycle traffic and motor vehicle traffic.
The purpose of the study is to evaluate different protected bikeway alternatives, understand related impacts and opportunities along the corridor, and identify a preferred configuration that could be installed in coordination with street maintenance projects programmed in 2018 and 2019.
Two primary alternatives are being explored
- A two-way protected bikeway on the south side of University Avenue SE (campus side), or
- A one-way protected bikeway on both University Avenue SE and 4th Street SE
- Fall 2016: Document existing conditions
- Winter/Spring 2017: Evaluate bikeway alternatives, seek community feedback
- Summer 2017: Identify preferred alternative
- 2018-2019: Potential bikeway installation with programmed street maintenance