Report an un-permitted work complaint

Information on how to report an un-permitted work complaint in the City of Minneapolis.

Before entering a report online

  • Please make sure you have the correct address.
  • Please check Permit Information  if you are uncertain whether the work requires a permit.
  • Please check Property Information to see if there is a permit.
    Note: It is no longer a requirement to display the permits at the work site.
    Property Information is updated once every 24 hours.
  • If the complaint is regarding electrical work, please see Electrical Permits.
    Note: Electrical permits are issued by the State of Minnesota.

File a report

  • Provide as much detail about the construction as possible - for example "New toilets in the Women’s restroom on the 3rd floor near suite 110".
  • Provide the name of the owner of the property, or the name of the contractor, or company name, if known. Provide the number on the company truck, if possible.
  • The inspector may need your assistance to access the building to document the violation. Please provide your phone number or email so the inspector can call you. Your name will be kept confidential.

Report an online un-permitted work complaint

Inspection service level goal

Typically, the inspector will make an on-site investigation with-in 6 working days.


If the inspector is successfully able to document the un-permitted work, an order to obtain the required permit(s) will be sent to the appropriate party (owner of record / the rental contact person / the contractor). At this point, the 311 case is closed.

If the inspector investigates the complaint, but cannot obtain the evidence to document the case, the 311 case will be closed. If work continues or you can provide new information that would make it possible to document the case, please file another report or call 311.

When the inspector sends a violation order, the owner is given a due date for completing the permit process or hiring a contractor to obtain the permit. If there is not compliance by the due date, further legal action may be taken against the violator.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Planning and Zoning


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415


311 or 612- 673-3000