Address: 2800 Central Avenue
Neighborhood: Columbia Park
Construction Date: 1887-1919
Architectural Style: Commercial Railroad
Historic Use: Transportation
Current Use: Vacant
Date of Local Designation: 2000
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Area(s) of Significance: Economic and Social History; Architecture
Period of Significance: 1887-1970
Historic Profile: Located on the southeastern corner of the Shoreham Yards, the Roundhouse was first constructed in 1887. Between 1887 and 1919, the semi-circular red brick building grew from 18 stalls to 46 stalls. Originally serving as the storage space for steam locomotives, the roundhouse was converted to a service station, lockers, and general storage after the conversion to diesel locomotives in the 1950s. The Roundhouse at Shoreham Yards acted as the central hub for the Minneapolis, Sault Ste. Marie & Atlantic Railroad company (referred to as the Soo Line). The Soo Line Company, under its first president William D. Washburn, started as a grain transportation system which contributed to much of the success of the milling industry in Minneapolis. The roundhouse was once the epicenter of the railroad repair yards and provided employment for people who lived in Northeast Minneapolis. Currently, the Soo Line Yard Site is vacant; however extensive pollution clean-up efforts are being conducted to prepare the site for future development.
1941, Storm Damage, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
City of Minneapolis, "City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," 2000.
Updated: February 2007