Condemned Properties

Special rules apply for rehabbing, selling, or buying buildings that have been condemned.

The Code Compliance program ensures that all buildings that have been condemned are safe and meet code standards before they are sold or occupied. A code compliance inspection and a set of orders are needed in lieu of a Truth-in-Sale of Housing inspection when the property is condemned.

If you are looking for information in regards to complying with the Minneapolis Building Code, please contact the inspector listed on your permit or call 311 to be directed to the area building, plumbing, or mechanical inspector. The information below relates directly to condemned properties and how to bring them out of condemnation and not to code questions.

Inspection is required before selling the property or starting work

Owners of condemned properties must apply for and obtain a code compliance inspection before offering a condemned property for sale or starting any work or obtaining permits to rehab the property.

To set up the initial inspection:

  • Submit the application form for a code compliance inspection along with a check to cover the application fee. Please see the Title 5 Fee Schedule for the appropriate fee amount. Fees are based on number of dwelling units.
  • Once the application is received and the payment processed, staff will contact the property owner to schedule an initial inspection. The initial inspection will include Building, Plumbing, Mechanical and Housing inspectors.
  • After the inspection has been completed, the property owner will receive a set of repair orders that can be used to sell the property.

A $4,000 deposit is required before beginning rehab

A $4,000 refundable deposit is required before any rehab work can start and before any permits will be issued. Permit fees are paid in addition to the deposit. 

Permits are required for all work done on the property

Building, Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical permits are required for all work done on the property. Licensed contractors are required to pull permits on all electrical, plumbing and mechanical work. A homeowner may pull the building permit so long as the property is in the owner’s name and not a business name or other entity (ex. John Smith LLC). A licensed contractor is required when the property is registered under a business name or other entity.

Electrical permits are obtained through the State of Minnesota. All electrical work performed under a state electrical permit will need a state inspection and approval. The electrical contractor is required to complete Code Compliance Electrical Certification . Contact the electrical inspector directly or visit the for information about how to schedule the inspection.

Final inspection and certificate of code compliance required prior to occupancy

After the work is completed, the property must pass a final inspection and be issued a Certificate of Code Compliance indicating that the property is safe to be occupied. The final inspection is scheduled with City staff and will be attended by Building, Plumbing, Mechanical and Housing inspectors.

Commonly asked questions

Have questions? Still unsure how the process works? Check out our frequently asked questions page for more information


Special Assessments

Business Assistance

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Code Compliance for Condemned Properties






Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415