Address: 5100 Nicollet Avenue South
Construction Date: 1888
Architect: Harry Wild Jones
Architectural Style: Shingle
Historic Use: Residential – Single Family
Current Use: Residential – Single Family
Date of Local Designation: 1995
Date of National Register Designation: N/A
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture; Historic Person; Cultural History
Period of Significance: 1888 - 1968
Historic Profile: When the Harrington Beard house was built in 1888 at Nicollet Avenue and 50 th Street near Washburn Park, the area was advertised as an oasis "where men of business can get away from the noise of the city and the inconvenience of small lots and crowded neighborhoods." The Beard residence, affectionately named "Sunnyside," marks one of the earliest additions to the neighborhood, only preceded by The Washburn Memorial Orphan Home (1886) and the Harry Wild Jones house (1887). Harrington commissioned Jones, a prominent local architect responsible for the Butler Brothers Warehouse (1906), the Lakewood Cemetery Chapel (1910) and the Washburn Water Tower (1932), to capture the feel of the 1890s, but integrate modern day conveniences into the decorating scheme. The entry hall, library, and dining room all have cherrywood trim throughout, including a built-in china cupboard in the dining room and the fireplace mantel in the library. The original exterior was executed in shingle and clapboard, but has now been stuccoed to the first-story level. The house was designed for the Harrington Beard family who opened the first art gallery, bringing in collections from London, New York, Boston and Chicago to Minneapolis. The Harrington Beard house is a significant historic landmark because of its association with the men who left a lasting legacy on the importance of art in Minneapolis.
1904, courtesy of Lee M. Jones, The Doors of Tangletown
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," April 1994.
Updated: February 2007