Address: 2724 West 43 rd Street
Neighborhood: Linden Hills
Construction Date: 1914
Architect: Downs and Eads
Architectural Style: 20 th Century Period Revival
Historic Use: Public – Fire Station
Current Use: Commercial
Date of Local Register Designation: 1995
Date of National Designation: 1993
Area of Significance: Community development
Period of Significance: 1914-1943
Historic Profile: As the population of Minneapolis boomed by seventy-five percent between 1900 and 1920, Linden Hills developed from a remote lakeside community to a fully integrated neighborhood. The establishment of permanent residences and businesses prompted the expansion of many municipal services to the outskirts of the city. Fire Station #28 (1914), along with the Lake Harriet Public School (1898), a city sewer system (1905), and the Linden Hills Library (1911) is representative of the spread of city services into the far corners of municipal limits. Station #28 was the second-to-last fire station commissioned by the city and was the first to be built solely for the use of motorized vehicles. In contrast to horse-drawn rigs which required more space, time and care, motorized trucks were relatively inexpensive and efficient. Motorized fire-fighting trucks reformed the service by expanding territorial coverage and decreasing response time.
1936, A.F. Raymond, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," May 1993.