|City Council Departments
Council Approval: 2007A-0404 (May 25, 2007)
Last Revised: May 25, 2007
|City Clerk's Office
I. Purpose and Scope of Policy
- Purpose: To insure maximum efficiencies and cost effectiveness of the entire City’s mailing.
- Scope: This policy applies to all City-paid mailings by all departments under the jurisdiction of the City Council
II. General Conditions
- Public Purpose: All outgoing mail sent at City expense must be related to City business. No personal mail and no mail from outside organizations can be sent through the City system. All outgoing mail sent at City expense must have a City return address and must be submitted with a card with the approved department bar code.
- Cost-effective: The Mail Room will conduct operations in a cost-effective manner, with departmental charge backs considerably less than could be achieved through outside vendors. The Mail Room will use the services of outside vendors when significant cost savings can be achieved.
- Services: The Mail Room will be open 5 days a week. The Mail Room will provide United States Postal Service (USPS) first class mailing through a presort vendor, interoffice mail delivery in City Hall and daily courier service to departments in other downtown buildings, United Parcel Service (UPS) package mailing, Standard Mail (bulk mail), Business Reply Mail, Postage Due Mail and Certified Mail. The Mail Room sorts and delivers interoffice mail, provides assistance with misaddressed mail, addressing protocols and specialty services such as Registered Mail and Express Mail.
- Authority: Mailing services will be under the jurisdiction of the City Clerk. The City Clerk will develop procedures as necessary.
III. Roles and Responsibilities
- City Clerk: Oversee the daily operations of the mail functions, develop and modify procedures and forms and charge back services to departments.
- Document Solution Center Supervisor: Manage the Mail Center and provide mailing services and information.
- Departments: Select the most cost-effective mailing methods. Provide accurate accounting cards with correct codes with each bundle of mail placed in the outgoing mail trays. Update and correct outgoing and incoming mailing addresses.