Governing Policy: Mailing Policy
Department Approval: June 30, 2007
Administering Department: City Clerk's Office
- Specialty Mail provides the customer with services not available through regular first-class or standard mail (bulk mail).
- All specialty delivery options other than Certified Mail must be handled directly by the sender.
- Senders must take all other specialty mail to the post office and pay the fee.
- Senders are responsible for determining the most cost-effective service.
- The Mail Room Supervisor assists with specific questions regarding Certified Mail.
- Use: When you need a signature when delivered to the address to assure that the delivery was completed to the address indicated. See Certified mail
- Cost: $3.45
Certified Mail Procedures
- Set up your reply mailing per United States Postal Service requirements
- Fill out a PS Form 3800 for your own information
- Fill out both sides of a PS Form 3811
- Fill out the sender information on the front of the card – remember to indicate the person and room number it should come back to.
- Put the addressee’s information in box 1.
- Place the narrow strip from form 3800 in the “Article Number” section 2.
- In section 3, Service Type, check the box in front of “Certified Mail”.
- Place the bar coded sticker from the PS Form 3800 between the return address and the postage area.
- Seal the envelope with the documents inside.
- Take the wax paper strips off of the PS Form 3811 and place the form on the back of the envelope.
- Process as other mail through the Mail Room.
- Use: When you need a signed mailing receipt and online delivery status. Get maximum security for your valuable items. Registered Mail items can be insured for up to $50,000 at your Post Office.
- Prices begin at $11.90. There are additional handling charges for declared values over $50,000.
- See registered mail
Standard Shipping Insurance
You can purchase insurance coverage for your mailpieces for up to $5,000 in indemnity to protect against loss or damage. Insurance fees are based on the item’s declared value. There are limitations for insuring some products and certain items. Priority Mail Express® and Priority Mail® may include insurance in the price of service.
- Use: Provides overnight service directly from the local post office 365 days a year to get important documents to the recipient the next day.
- Costs from $24.70 in the USPS flat rate envelope. See express mail services
Return Receipt for Merchandise
- Use: Provides the sender with a mailing receipt and a return receipt. The return receipt supplies the recipient’s actual address. Provides a delivery record maintained by the USPS. A Return Receipt for Merchandise is available with Priority Mail Express (USPS Form 3811 only)
- Cost: $2.75 for mail receipt
- Cost: $1.50 for email receipt
- See return receipt services
Collect on Delivery (COD)
- Use: The recipient pays, with cash or personal check, for the merchandise and postage at the time of delivery. COD also gives you the security of insurance coverage against loss or damage of up to $1,000.
- Cost: $7.50
- See COD services
Information and Other Resources
- USPS mailing guidelines, the USPS Quick Service Guide; #240a and #340a. Copies are available in the City Clerks Office, 304 City Hall.
- USPS Account Manager, 612-349-6358 for more information, or consult with the Document Solution Center Supervisor, 673-2570.
- Additional Links below: