Street use permit descriptions

We describe the two types of street permits for street events.

Lane Use Permit

We require an obstruction (lane use) permit when any part of a city street, parking lane or sidewalk is blocked for construction, demolition, utility repair, etc.

Apply for a Lane Use Permit

Note: The City of Minneapolis requires at least 24 hours' notice if parking meters need to be hooded, or 48 hours if streets must be posted for "No Parking."


  • We do not charge for the permit. The permit is needed to park vehicles in the blocked area.
  • Lane use fees may apply if you need to close a travel or parking lane.
  • Meter hooding fees apply if you need to hood parking meters for the project.

Race Permit

When any part of an event occurs on a city street, you must have a Race Permit. Event examples:

  • Bicycle races
  • Foot races
  • Race walking
  • Wheelchair racing
  • Rollerblading
  • Marathons
  • Jogging events

You must complete a race application and submit it with a clearly marked route map at least 60 days before your event.

Race Application  


  • We charge $100 to apply, plus 50 cents per participant.
  • Additional costs may apply:
    • If traffic control or police are required to control traffic.
    • To post temporary "No Parking" signs along the route, if required. Barricades, signs and other equipment must be installed and removed if directed by Public Works or Minneapolis Police. You can rent this equipment from several local private firms.

Other requirements

  • Waste and recycling: City ordinance requires race organizers to collect recyclables and submit a waste and recycling plan.
    Read Minneapolis Ordinance 447.91
  • Park property: If the event will occur exclusively on park property, contact the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board for permits and reservations. You will not need a permit from the City of Minneapolis.
    Contact the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Lane use/obstruction permits
Show response
Race permits
Show response
Parade permits
Show response

Contact us

Shane Morton

Public Works Traffic and Parking Services



Dee Ann McQuerry

Public Works Traffic and Parking Services Division


Hawthorne Transportation Center
33 Ninth St. N., Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55403-1326