Parade permits are required for any parade, march or procession in or on any city street or alley (not including sidewalks.) Applications are available online and must be submitted (with a legible route map) at least 5 business days prior to event.
Fees are identified in the application. Additional costs may apply for the posting of temporary "No Parking" signs along the route, if required. Barricades, signs and other equipment must be installed and removed if directed by Public Works or Minneapolis Police. This equipment can be rented from several local private firms.
All races are required to collect recyclables and submit a waste and recycling plan per (Minneapolis Ordinance 447.91)
Note: If the event occurs exclusively on park property, contact the Minneapolis Park Board for permits and reservations. A permit is not required from the City of Minneapolis.
Parade Permit Application 2021: A permit is required for any parade, march, or procession in or on any street or alley in the City of Minneapolis (not including sidewalks).
Apply for Parade Permit
If the event occurs exclusively on park property, contact the Minneapolis Park Board, for Park Permits and Reservations. An additional permit is not required with the City.
The event must meet these requirements:
- Application must be submitted at least five business days prior to event. A legible route map must be included with the application.
- Parade route must be approved by Shane Morton (Contact Shane) or Sgt. Beth Mota, Minneapolis Police Department, 612-673-3942
- Once parade route has been approved, please provide detailed traffic control plan with application showing the location and type of traffic control signs.
- Authorized traffic control agents or police personnel must be provided at all intersections requiring traffic control.
- Barricades, signs and delineation equipment must be installed and removed as directed by either the Public Works or Police Department. The City does not rent equipment. There are a number of local private firms which do rent the equipment.
- Volunteers must be provided to monitor barricades at all intersections not requiring traffic control personnel.
- Residents and property owners abutting the event route must be notified by leaflet at least 48 hours before the event (See Minneapolis Ordinance §447.130).
- Application Fee: A $25 non-refundable filing fee is required with the application. (Individuals and organizations demonstrating financial hardship may have this fee waived.)
- No Parking Sign Posting Fee: When the posting of temporary “No Parking” signs along a parade route is required, applicants seeking a parade permit for a parade must additionally pay posting fees that shall be set by resolution of the City Council. Before application is submitted, please contact Shane Morton to determine the posting fee. Payment of the posting fee must be submitted with the application. Individuals, groups or organizations may request a waiver of the “No Parking” sign posting fee requirement in accordance with Minneapolis Ordinance Chapter 447.
Please complete the application form and return it to Dee McQuerry
Contact Minneapolis Special Event Coordinator
For more information about Special Events Requirements, contact Shane Morton