If the race occurs exclusively on park property:
- Contact the Minneapolis Park Board for Park Permits and Reservations
- You do not need an additional permit from the city.
Your application must include:
- A legible route map
- A detailed traffic control plan showing the location and type of traffic control signs
- Provide authorized traffic control agents or police personnel at all intersections requiring traffic control.
- Provide volunteers to monitor barricades at all intersections not requiring traffic control personnel.
- Install and remove the following equipment as directed by Public Works or the Police Department:
- Delineation equipment
The city does not rent equipment. Local private firms rent the equipment.
City law requires you to notify residents and property owners near the race route:
- By leaflet
- At least 48 hours, but not more than seven days, before the event
Hours and days
Races must take place between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday.
You must have proof of insurance.
The following must comply with Chapter 1341 of the Minnesota State Building Code:
- Ingress and egress for people with disabilities
- Application fee: $100, non-refundable
- Participant fee: You must pay a permit fee of $.50 per participant five days before any event that exclusively uses city streets. Notes:
- The fee is based on pre-registration or number of participants noted in the application, whichever is higher
- Additional participant fees for the actual number of participants are due within seven days after the event.
- If the actual number of participants was less than stated in the application, you may apply for a refund within seven days of the event.
- If event is on both park and City property, only the Park Board will charge participant fees.
- Unpaid fees may result in revocation of permit and denial of future permits.
- No parking sign posting fee: If you need to post temporary “No Parking” signs along a race route, you must pay an additional fee. Contact Shane Morton of Public Works for the posting fee. You must pay the posting fee with the application.
Submit your application
You must submit your application at least 60 days before your event.
Dee Ann McQuerry
Public Works Traffic and Parking Services Division
Hawthorne Transportation Center
33 Ninth St. N., Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55403-1326