Apply for a permit to construct, seal or for temporary use of a well.


The City regulates the construction, sealing and maintenance of the following well types:

  • Environmental well
  • Private drinking water
  • Non-transient, non-community public water supply
  • Non-community public water supply
  • Industrial and irrigation
  • Remedial

See Minneapolis Ordinance Chapter 48.260

person drilling a well


You must get approval for the following before doing well construction, boring or sealing.

Site map

Submit a site map that lists:

  • Well location(s)
  • Property lines
  • Structures
  • Roads
  • Landmarks
  • Utilities


Complete a PDF or DocuSign application for the type of well work you want to do:

  • We must receive your application before you do any work.
  • If you do not comply, we will double the fees for your permit.
  • Follow all requirements in Minneapolis ordinance chapters 216 and 48.260.

See applications

See Minneapolis Ordinance Chapter 48.260

Additional permits

Your work may require additional permits from the:

  • City of Minneapolis
  • State of Minnesota

Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.

Contact Environmental Health Permit with questions


A contractor must be licensed by the State or Minnesota to work on a well.


The Minneapolis Health Department does not permit variances from City of Minneapolis ordinances.

Special well construction areas

Minneapolis has two special well construction areas:

  • Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant (TCAAP)
  • CMC Heartland Lite Yard Site

See details and boundaries for TCAAP

See details and boundaries for CMC Heartland Lite Yard Site

In addition to permits, the Minneapolis Health Department must approve the following in special well construction areas:

  • Well construction
  • Alteration
  • Sealing


You need a permit for well construction or boring. You must notify the City before you seal an environmental well.

Well construction

Complete either the DocuSign or the PDF application:

Temporary boring

Complete either the PDF or the DocuSign application:

Well sealing

Complete either the PDF or the DocuSign notification:


See Environmental permit fees

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Environmental Health Permit

Minneapolis skyline

Pollution Control Annual Registration (PCAR)

This permit type also requires annual pollution control registration.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Thomas Frame

Environmental Engineer
Minneapolis Health Department


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday