Pollution Control Annual Registration license

Renew your Pollution Control Annual Registration (PCAR) license every year by January 31.


Industrial equipment and business processes generate or have the potential to generate pollution.

You must get an annual Pollution Control Annual Registration (PCAR) if the equipment or process is in a:

  • Business
  • Commercial building
  • Residential building with four or more units

By applying for or renewing a PCAR, you verify that the equipment or business process:

  • Has been inspected
  • Is being maintained
  • Functions properly

You cannot use the equipment or process without proper registration.

PCAR is commonly called an impact fee.

clothing hanging in dry cleaner business

What to register

City law requires registration for various items, equipment and processes.

The general categories are:

  • Hazardous waste
  • Energy, noise or air pollution
  • Air emissions
  • Commercial or industrial manufacturing equipment and processes
  • Contaminated site
  • Chemical storage
  • Wells
  • Sanitary sewer discharges
  • Storm drain discharges

Minneapolis Code of Ordinances Title 3 chapters 46, 47, 48, 50, 52 and 54 explain in detail what to register:


Equipment or item Examples
Space heating equipment

Fuel oil and natural gas

Exhaust systems

Commercial kitchen exhaust, public or private parking garage, paint booth

Air pollution control equipment
  • Afterburner or atmosphere burner
  • Cyclone
  • Dust, fly ash or lint collector
  • Vapor reclaimer
Commercial manufacturing and process equipment
  • Annealer, cupola or tumbler
  • Internal combustion engine
  • Oil fired forge
  • Oven, dryer or heat treat oven over 300,000 BTU input
  • Incinerator
Dry cleaning Dry cleaner equipment
Generators Non-diesel fuel generators and diesel fuel generators
Other equipment
  • Commercial heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) equipment
  • Commercial coffee roaster
  • Crematorium
  • Waste oil burner
  • Exterior air handling equipment over five horsepower
  • Compactor

Air emissions

Register air emissions of any of the following if more than one ton:

  • Volatile organic compounds (VOC)
  • Particulate matter of 2.5 microns or smaller (PM2.5)
  • Sulfur oxides (SOx)
  • Nitrogen oxides (NOx)
  • Lead (Pb)
  • Carbon monoxide (CO)

Registration process

The City sends PCAR invoices by mail on the last Friday or last business day of December each year. You must renew registration by Jan. 31.

Important: register by Jan. 31

If you miss the deadline, City law allows late fees to be applied.

See Minneapolis Code of Ordinances 261.26

Pay your fee


Contact 311

Contact 311 if you have questions about your PCAR license for your:

  • Business
  • Property
  • Building

Please provide your:

  • Name
  • Contact phone number
  • Email address
  • Business name
  • Business site address
  • Business PCAR license number

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental – Pollution Control Annual Registration



Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis PCAR payments
P.O. Box 857005
Minneapolis, MN 55485-7005


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday

City of Minneapolis Service Center


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

By appointment only

7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday

7 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Closed on City holidays

See list of City holidays