Storage tank

The City requires a permit to abandon, install or remove a storage tank.


A storage tank contains materials such as:

  • Diesel
  • Gasoline
  • Heating fuel oil
  • Waste oil
  • Chemicals

Common abbreviations:

  • AST: Aboveground storage tank
  • UST: Underground storage tank
Storage tank in Minneapolis


You must do the following when applying for a storage tank permit.

Site map

Submit a site map with any storage tank permit application.


Notify Environmental Services 48 hours before you start work.

Contact Environmental Services

Additional permits

Your work may require additional permits from the:

  • City of Minneapolis
  • State of Minnesota

Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.

Contact Environmental Health Permit with questions

Soil sample requirement for storage tank closure

You must take soil samples when you remove or abandon a storage tank that is greater than 1,100 gallons in size.


  • Within 45 days, submit a report about the presence or absence of any contaminant release.
  • We require at least one sample for fuel oil tanks of 1,100 gallons or less.
  • Tanks regulated by the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) need additional sampling.

See MPCA storage tank sampling requirements


You need a permit to remove, install or abandon a storage tank.

You can submit a permit application in two ways:

  • Docusign, which is our preferred online method, with secure credit card submission
  • PDF by email, mail or in person

Tank removal

See DocuSign Tank Removal permit application 

See PDF Tank Removal permit application

Tank abandonment

See DocuSign Tank Abandonment permit application 

See PDF Tank Abandonment permit application

Tank installation

See DocuSign Tank Installation permit application 

See PDF Tank Installation permit application

Tank installation also requires inspection by Minneapolis Fire Inspection Services (FIS).

See Storage tank permits

For a tank installation, submit both the Environmental Service and FIS applications to Environmental Health Permits. Both teams review and approve the application.

See FIS application and fees


See Environmental permit fees

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Environmental Health Permit

Minneapolis skyline

Pollution Control Annual Registration (PCAR)

This permit type also requires annual pollution control registration.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Thomas Frame

Environmental Engineer
Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Services Information

Health Department



Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday