After-hours work

We require a permit to use power equipment after hours.


Some construction work occurs outdoors or in a space that shares a wall with another premise. City law requires an after-hours work permit if both of the following are true:

You use power equipment

You use power equipment, such as:

  • An air compressor nail gun
  • A sandblaster or pressure washer
  • A generator
  • A bobcat, crane or dump truck
  • A hydraulic lift

Your work occurs outside regular hours

Your work occurs outside of regular working hours, either:

  • Monday through Friday outside the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • Anytime on Saturday, Sunday or City holidays
    See City holidays

See Minneapolis Ordinance 59.30

construction workers by crane after dark


You must complete either the PDF or DocuSign application. You also need to notify neighbors before doing after-hours work.


Submit either a PDF or DocuSign application.

See Applications

Neighbor notification

See Neighbor notification template


Additional permits

Your work may require additional permits from the:

  • City of Minneapolis
  • State of Minnesota

You may need an obstruction permit or street use permit if equipment or materials impede or obstruct:

  • Traffic
  • Parking

This includes be equipment or materials staged in the:

  • Street
  • City boulevard 
  • Right of way (ROW)

See the Obstruction permit process (Roway)

See Street use permit

Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.

Contact Environmental Health Permit with questions


You can submit a permit application in two ways:

  • Docusign, which is our preferred online method, with secure credit card submission
  • PDF by email, mail or in person

See DocuSign After hours work permit application

See PDF After hours work permit application


See Environmental permit fees

Submit your application  

Submit your applications to Environmental Health Permit


If you do illegal after-hours work, the City may:

  • Fine you up to $2,000 per day
  • Shut down your work with a cease and desist order

Be a good neighbor:

  • Get a permit
  • Work legally
  • Avoid complaints


Some work does not require an after-hours work permit.

Resident working on your own home

You do not need a permit when working from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Property owner working on your residential used property

As a property owner, you may do work if you:

  • Have a valid rental license
  • Have tenants
  • Occupy a habitable residential used property

If you meet these requirements, you may work on your residential used property:

  • On weekdays from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
  • On Saturdays, Sundays and federal holidays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • In an enclosed and insulated building that does not share a common wall with another:
    • Building
    • Occupant

Contact 311 with exemption questions

Hand tools and enclosed buildings

The code states that at any time, contractors can:

  • Use hand tools such as hammers
  • Work inside a stand-alone building with all doors and windows closed

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday