Get help starting a contractor business in the City.


Trades contractors are trained and skilled in different types of construction.  

  • Billboard erector/billposting 
  • Building wrecker 
  • Duct/hood cleaning 
  • Heating/ventilation/air conditioning  
  • Gas fitter 
  • Oil burner installer 
  • Plumber  
  • Refrigeration systems installer 
  • Residential specialties  
  • Sign hanger/painter 
  • Steam and hot water systems installers
Contractor at a construction site

Get your license

Review the steps to receive and maintain a license.

You can find information from the City about:  

The State of Minnesota also has information and requirements for trades licenses.  

See State of Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI)

Meet with a Business Licensing customer service representative

Meet with a business licensing customer service representative to go over the requirements for your contractor’s license. You may not work in Minneapolis until you have your license.  

See how to get help at the City of Minneapolis service center

Obtain surety bonds

Surety bonds are a promise from a third-party company that if you do not fulfill your contract obligations, they will pay your client. Most public and many private construction contracts require surety bonds. You can obtain surety bonds by contacting a professional surety bond producer, or through the U.S. Small Business Association (SBA) if you qualify. 

See how surety bonds work

Minneapolis and the State of Minnesota require bonds.

Apply for your Minneapolis competency card

A Certificate of Competency card is proof that the cardholder has the training, experience, and technical knowledge to install, alter, repair, and service equipment.  

City of Minneapolis competency cards

Get your insurance

Most trades contractors must have insurance before they can get a license.

See insurance certificate

Review the business license application

You must have a license to provide trade or skilled work services in Minneapolis.

See contractor license applications


Find your license fee

Submit all required documents and fees

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information

Review and consider all requirements when starting your business.

Tell your new neighbors about your business

Contact your council member, neighborhood organization, and business association where your business will be located.

  • Promote and create interest in your business
  • Network with local residents and leaders
  • Learn about resources they may offer small businesses

Send an email to your:

After you open

Find out what to do once your business is open and running.

Expand your business

The City offers financing to help you cover costs of expansion, such as equipment.

Renew your business license

Your business license must be renewed every December. We will send your renewal information in the mail 30 days before it is due.

View the City of Minneapolis Business Licensing Renewal Process video

Contact 311 if you have questions

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Small Business Team

Community Planning & Economic Development




Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday