Competency cards

Certain trades for Master and Journeymen must obtain a Certificate of Competency card before working in the City.

A Certificate of Competency card is issued by the City of Minneapolis as proof that the cardholder has the necessary qualifications, training, experience, and technical knowledge to install, alter, repair, and service equipment and systems in a given trade.

Who needs a Certificate of Competency

Persons must obtain a Certificate of Competency card before working in the City of Minneapolis in the following trades for Master and Journeymen:

  • Fuel Gas Fitter
  • Plumber/Gas Specific
  • Refrigeration
  • Warm Air/Ventilation
  • Steam and Hot Water

Reciprocating a Saint Paul Competency Card

At this time, the only reciprocity agreement that the City of Minneapolis has is with the City of Saint Paul. To receive a Minneapolis Certificate you must have a current Certificate of Competency from the City of Saint Paul. Send a copy of both sides of your Saint Paul card. If both sides are not available print your name, address and phone number on the copy. Indicate what trade or trades you  want to reciprocate and send a check or money order in the amount of $30.00 payment per trade. Your check or money order should be made payable to the Minneapolis Finance Department and mailed along with the copy of your Saint Paul card to Construction Code Services. On the outside of the envelope put "Attn: Comp Cards". Your Minneapolis certificate will be mailed back to you within a week of receiving your request.

For information on how to reciprocate a City of Minneapolis certificate to a Saint Paul certificate you should contact the Saint Paul Department of Safety and Inspections at 651- 266-8989.

Applying for the Competency Card exam

In order to receive a City of Minneapolis Competency Card you must:

  • Submit an application form (mail or drop off at the ) along with educational transcripts and/or apprenticeship training program certificate.
  • Please note: applicants will need a minimum of four years work experience prior to applying.
  • When filling out the application, please be sure to print clearly. The applicant information will be used to create your Notification of Exam Approval Form. The information must match the ID that you will present at the Exam Center.
  • Individuals applying to take the Plumbing/Gas Specific exam need to have a state plumbing license in a trade level equal to the trade level exam they are applying for. Note- this is not enough to qualify for the exam. Applicants need to show gas specific education to qualify to take the Plumbing/Gas Specific exam.

After the application is received:

  • The Minneapolis Building Official will review your application and determine if you are eligible to take the certification exam.
  • City staff will send you an authorization letter to take the exam. Please read our exam scheduling  informational sheet for details on scheduling your exam.
  • It is the applicant's responsibility to read the Examination Information Bulletin for important information on examination requirements, procedures, and references allowed during the exam administration. See exam content and references on pages 17 through 20 of this bulletin.

After the exam has been taken

  • If you pass the exam, please mail in a copy of the results and a check for $30 per trade. You will receive your Certificate of Competency Card in the mail once the results are received and the payment is processed.
  • There is a 60 day waiting period after a failed exam result before a new authorization letter will be sent to you.


Special Assessments

Business Assistance

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Construction Code Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Competency Card Office


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415