Employee Assistance Program
The City of Minneapolis’ employee benefits package includes access to a confidential service that provides counseling services to help you or your family members deal with financial, legal, work-related, and relationship issues through an Employee Assistance Program. Examples of the wide array of services include a free consultation with an attorney, help finding child or elder care, advice from a financial professional, or support on how to live with a chronic health condition.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is offered through Medica, and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Services are available by phone, online, or through in-person appointments. Additional information is available at the live and work well website.
Visit the live and work well website (access code: medica)
Reach the EAP counseling hotline at 1-800-626-7944
Free programs through The Standard
The Standard, the City’s provider of employee group life, accident, and disability coverage and leave administration services offers several free programs for City employees. Using these programs can save employees time and money.
- Identity theft protection: Victims of identity theft often go through a cumbersome, time-intensive process to restore their credit records. The Standard's identity theft program is available to help if this serious crime impacts you.
- Estate planning assistance: Planning in advance helps relieve uncertainties for family members and ensures your wishes are known. Use The Standard's free online tools to create important legal documents, such as living wills, powers of attorney, and health care agent forms.
- Funeral arrangements: Use the website to calculate funeral costs, find funeral-related services and make decisions about funeral arrangements in advance.
- Financial planning: Consult online services to help you manage debt, calculate mortgage and loan payments, and take care of other financial matters with confidence.
- Health and wellness: Timely articles about nutrition, stress management, and wellness help employees and their families lead healthy lives.
- Services for beneficiaries: Life insurance beneficiaries can access services for 12 months after the date of death. Services include grief support, legal services, financial assistance, support services, and online resources.
- Travel protection: The Standard Travel Assistance can help cover you in case of emergency when you are traveling over 100 miles from home or internationally for up to 180 days for business or pleasure.
Visit the Life Services Toolkit website (user name: assurance)
To take advantage of the travel assistance benefits, if you're calling from the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands or Bermuda, contact 1-800-872-1414 or from anywhere else call 1-609-986-1234 or if you prefer e-mail, email@example.com
Discounts on entertainment, products, and services through MERSC
City of Minneapolis employees and retirees, as well as their immediate family members, are eligible for discounts on entertainment, theater tickets, travel, and other products and services. Discounts are offered by Minnesota Employee Recreation & Services Council (MERSC).
City employees are eligible for a 10 percent discount on childcare at New Horizon Academy.
Contact New Horizon Academy at 1-763-557-1111
Health club discounts
City of Minneapolis employees are eligible for special health club discounts at these health clubs:
- Life Time Fitness
- Snap Fitness
- CorePower Yoga
- 501 Fit
- Ivy Spa and Fitness Club
Save on tuition at Augsburg, Hamline, St. Catherine's, and St. Mary's University of Minnesota
City employees have the opportunity to take advantage of the below educational discounts.
Augsburg University: City employees get a $50 discount per undergraduate credit for adult undergraduate degree programs and an $80 discount per graduate credit for graduate degree programs at Augsburg College. The discount applies only to new students and does not apply to certificate programs, individual courses, and the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies.
Hamline: City employees can save 10% per credit hour tuition for the Master of Public Administration program as well as all of the master’s programs in the School of Business (MPA, MBA, and Master of Nonprofit Management) as well as the Master in the Study of Law, the Master of Arts in Teaching and the Master of Arts in Education. In addition, there is a 10% discount for seminars and certificate programs offered by the Center of Public Administration and Leadership.
St. Catherine's University: City employees can save 10% on tuition for certain programs in the College for Adults and Graduate College. Programs currently eligible for the scholarship include bachelor's, master’s, and doctoral programs in Business, Marketing, Organizational Leadership, Social Work, Public Health (MPH), Holistic Health, Health Informatics, Nursing, and Education.
St. Mary's University of Minnesota: City employees receive a 10% savings on tuition and waived application fee for Schools of Graduate Professional Programs that includes Bachelor completion, Undergraduate & Graduate Certificates, Master’s, Professional Development, Specialist, and Doctoral programs. Degree programs are offered on-campus and online.
Public service loan forgiveness
The City of Minneapolis qualifies as a public service employer under the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. City of Minneapolis employees may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance due on certain Federal Direct student loans after making 120 qualifying payments on eligible loans while employed full-time. To request to have the employer section of the form completed, please submit a "general benefits inquiry" ticket through CityLife.