Police officer complaint filing process

Learn how to file a complaint against an officer who works for the City of Minneapolis Police.

Who can file a complaint

Any member of the public with information about police officer misconduct can file a complaint.

You can file a complaint on behalf of another person if they need help, such as a minor or vulnerable adult.

Types of complaints we handle

The Office of Police Conduct Review (OPCR) handles any violation of the Minneapolis Police Department (MPD) Policy and Procedure Manual.

This includes but is not limited to:

  • Excessive use of force
  • Inappropriate language or attitude
  • Harassment
  • Discrimination 
  • Theft
  • Failure to provide adequate or timely police protection
  • Retaliation
  • Criminal misconduct

Read the MPD Policy and Procedure Manual

Types of complaints we do not handle

We do not handle:

  • Complaints requesting police services

If you need immediate assistance from the police, please call 911. If you need police assistance in Minneapolis for a non-urgent issue, please contact MPD.

  • Complaints about officers who work for other agencies

Our office can only investigate MPD officers. If you are not sure what agency an officer works for but believe it may be MPD, you can continue with the “How to file a complaint" process below.

If you know your complaint is about an officer who works for another agency, please contact that agency directly. For help finding another agency’s contact information, you can contact 311.

You can also file a complaint about any officer working in Minnesota. Contact the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training:

Visit their website

Call 651-643-3060

  • Discrimination not involving MPD

To report discrimination in Minneapolis not involving the police, you can file a complaint with the Complaint Investigations Division.

  • Complaints about civilian/non-sworn employees

If you want to file a complaint about a civilian/non-sworn member of MPD, you can contact the MPD Internal Affairs Division.

  • Complaints from City of Minneapolis employees 

If you are a City employee and want to file a complaint about an MPD officer, you can contact the MPD Internal Affairs Division.

  • Requests for payment due to property damage

You can file a complaint with us if you believe an MPD officer damaged your property. However, if you are seeking payment for property damages, you can contact Risk Management.

How to file a complaint

You can file a police officer complaint online, in person, by phone, or by mail.

File a complaint

What happens after you file a complaint

Your complaint is the beginning of a larger process. Understand what happens after you file a complaint.

Understand the complaint review process

If you know your case number, you can look up certain information about your complaint.

See the status of your complaint


How your complaint makes a difference

We welcome the public taking part in police oversight. Your complaint can make Minneapolis a better place.

  • Complaints let us know when MPD officers are not following policy or are acting in an illegal way. When we know about complaints, we can work to prevent future misconduct.
  • Complaints can help the City improve existing policies and create new ones.
  • Complaints can lead to officer discipline, which holds officers accountable for their actions.
  • Complaints give us a better idea of police behavior and topics we should focus our research on.

What your complaint does not do

We understand people have many reasons for filing complaints. Be aware that filing a complaint with us does not:

  • Affect any court cases or criminal charges against you
  • Grant you legal advice or representation
  • Result in compensation for any damage or injuries against you

How state law affects our work

Learn how state law affects civilian oversight of police in Minneapolis.

How state law affects civilian oversight

Complaint process manual

Learn more about the police misconduct complaint process.

Read the police misconduct complaint process manual

Court-enforceable settlement agreement

Much of the complaint process is a result of an agreement between the City and the Minnesota Department of Human Rights.

Learn more about the settlement agreement

Contact us

Office of Police Conduct Review

Carolina Amini 

Interim Director 




Phone: 612-673-5500

Fax: 612-673-2599

TTY: 612-673-2157


City Hall
350 Fifth St. S., Room 239
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Office hours

8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday