If the Department issues a probable cause determination, we will schedule conciliation.
The Department is a party to the case during conciliation.
- The complainant, the respondent and the Department meet with a mediator to try to reach a settlement.
- Each party should be ready to discuss settlement.
- The Department often seeks:
- Changes to training
- A civil penalty from the respondent
Read about the mediation process
A public hearing is like a trial:
- Each side presents evidence.
- A panel of three Civil Rights Commissioners hears and makes a decision on your case.
No probable cause
If the Department issues a no probable cause determination, you have the right to appeal.
Complainants have 15 days to appeal the decision:
- A panel of Civil Rights Commissioners reviews appeals.
- The panel can sustain, reverse or remand the decision for further investigation.
Read about the Minneapolis Civil Rights Commission