Hazardous waste facility

Hazardous waste producers must register with the City.


Hazardous waste is any manufactured material that has been in contact with pollutants.


  • Lubricating oils
  • Cutting fluids
  • Marking dyes

You must store these materials inside a building or structure to prevent:

  • Deposition of pollutants to the land
  • Discharge of pollutants to storm drains

See Minneapolis Ordinance 46.100

Flammable liquid sign on pails


You must submit the following along with your hazardous waste registration application.

Letter of transmittal

Write a letter requesting a permit to operate a facility in the City of Minneapolis.

Hazardous waste site plan

  • Create a plan drawn to scale.
  • Describe environmental characteristics of the affected areas.

Spill pollution prevention plan

Write a plan that describes how you will prevent spills and contain a release. The plan should include your:

  • Measures
  • Training
  • Equipment

Additional permits

Your work may require additional permits from the:

  • City of Minneapolis
  • State of Minnesota

Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.

Contact Environmental Health Permit with questions

Minneapolis skyline

Pollution Control Annual Registration (PCAR)

This permit type also requires annual pollution control registration.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Thomas Frame

Environmental Engineer
Minneapolis Health Department


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday