You must complete either the PDF or DocuSign application. You also need to provide the activity report.
You can submit a permit application in two ways:
- Docusign, which is our preferred online method, with secure credit card submission
- PDF by email, mail or in person
See DocuSign Abrasive blasting permit application
Activity and analysis report
- You must analyze the blasting surface before starting the work using X-ray fluorescence. The X-ray will show if the work will disturb lead-based paint.
- Submit the report with your application for permit approval.
Submit your application
The following are permit violations.
Visible emission of particulate matter
Visible emission beyond the vertically extended property line of the permitted property.
Visible matter on public or other private property
Deposition of visible amounts of particulate matter on:
- Public property
- Other private property
- Failure to get a permit from the Minneapolis Health Department for abrasive blasting
- Operating after denial or revocation of abrasive blasting permit
City law has requirements for abrasive blasting.
Here is the process for lead testing:
- Do lead testing before you begin abrasive activities.
- Submit documentation of lead test results with your permit application five days before the project begins.
- City staff will review testing documentation as part of the permit application.
Water and debris
No water or debris can leave the property during abrasive blasting.
You will need an After hours work permit if you use power equipment after hours.
Your work may require additional permits from the:
- City of Minneapolis
- State of Minnesota
Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.
Request accessible format
If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.
Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Minneapolis Health Department
Environmental Health Permit
Make payment in person at:
Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Mail a payment to:
Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415
7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday