Abrasive blasting

You need a permit to use abrasive materials to prepare any surface.


Abrasive blasting is the use of abrasive materials to prepare any surface.

Examples of abrasive materials:

  • Silica
  • Water
  • Bead or shot
  • Pressure
  • Soda
  • Modified wet


You must complete either the PDF or DocuSign application. You also need to provide the activity report.

Permit application

You can submit a permit application in two ways:

  • Docusign, which is our preferred online method, with secure credit card submission
  • PDF by email, mail or in person

See DocuSign Abrasive blasting permit application

See PDF Abrasive blasting permit application

Activity and analysis report

  • You must analyze the blasting surface before starting the work using X-ray fluorescence. The X-ray will show if the work will disturb lead-based paint.
  • Submit the report with your application for permit approval.



The following are permit violations.

Visible emission of particulate matter

Visible emission beyond the vertically extended property line of the permitted property.

Visible matter on public or other private property

Deposition of visible amounts of particulate matter on:

  • Public property
  • Other private property

No permit

  • Failure to get a permit from the Minneapolis Health Department for abrasive blasting
  • Operating after denial or revocation of abrasive blasting permit


City law has requirements for abrasive blasting.

Lead testing

Here is the process for lead testing:

  1. Do lead testing before you begin abrasive activities.
  2. Submit documentation of lead test results with your permit application five days before the project begins.
  3. City staff will review testing documentation as part of the permit application.

Water and debris

No water or debris can leave the property during abrasive blasting.

Additional permits

You will need an After hours work permit if you use power equipment after hours.

See After hours work

Your work may require additional permits from the:

  • City of Minneapolis
  • State of Minnesota

Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.

Contact Environmental Health Permit with questions

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday