Traffic calming measures
Traffic calming measures are changes to the streets that encourage slower and safer traffic speeds. Our traffic calming goals are in line with several City policies, including the Vision Zero initiative to eliminate traffic deaths and severe injuries on our streets. Examples of traffic calming treatments are street pavement markings, speed humps, curb extensions, and traffic circles.
Read the Vision Zero initiative
New process for traffic calming on neighborhood streets
On August 25th, 2022, the new Neighborhood Traffic Calming process was presented to the Public Works & Infrastructure (PWI) Committee. The new process began September 15th. This new process will apply to neighborhood streets and was designed to be equitable, data-driven, and transparent.
Watch the presentation to the PWI Committee.
In the Neighborhood Traffic Calming Report January 2023 you will find:
- Details about the new process
- An application form
- An updated toolbox
- Information about how we rank the applications, and
- A timeline for the annual process
There is an interactive map that will route your request more quickly, and you will get a confirmation email once your request is received. There are several ways to submit your application:
- Fill out the online traffic calming application
- Call Minneapolis 311 for help filling out the online application
- If you are unable to submit an online application, please fill out and print the Traffic Calming Application , and send it by email or US Mail. Please use the PDF only if you are unable to use the online application.
We will accept applications for 2023 implementation between September 15th and November 1st, 2022. Anyone can apply for neighborhood traffic calming, including residents, property owners, business owners, and neighborhood or business organizations.
Traffic calming request viewer
The traffic calming request viewer shows all the applications submitted to date.
If you have questions about the application, please contact us.
Traffic calming requests
Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 410
Minneapolis, MN 55415
7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday