We contract with various companies to recycle or process waste and recyclables.
- Residential garbage is brought to the Hennepin Energy Recovery Center, a waste-to-energy facility in downtown Minneapolis.
- Recycling is brought to a material recovery facility (MRF) within City limits.
- Organics and yard waste are collected separately. They are both brought to a transfer station within City limits where they are loaded into semi-trucks to be brought to a commercial composting facility just in the Twin Cities metro area.
- Large metal items and appliances are broken down by City staff before selling the metal to scrap metal vendors.
- Mattresses are disassembled for recycling by a contractor in Minneapolis.
- Electronics are diassembled for recycling by a contractor in Wisconsin.
- Building materials brought to the South Transfer Station are either sorted for recycling or brought to a landfill outside City limits.
- Tires brought to the South Transfer Station are recycled by a contractor in the Twin Cities metro area.