Transportation benefits plan
The transportation benefits plan provides you options to pay for commuting expenses with pre-tax dollars. The plan is available to regular full-time and part-time employees of the City of Minneapolis The plan allows employees to set aside up to $270 per month for qualified parking or vanpool expenses. The monthly limit may be adjusted by the IRS in future years.
Qualified parking is defined as parking at or near your workplace or at a location from which you commute to work. Qualified parking expenses include the costs of daily parking as well as monthly parking contracts. An employee who commutes to work on a bicycle and pays to park their bicycle can also submit those expenses for reimbursement under the plan.
A commuter vanpool is any highway vehicle that seats at least six passengers, besides the driver. At least 80% of the vehicle's mileage must be for the purpose of transporting employees between work and home on trips during which the number of individuals transported is at least one-half of the vehicle's adult seating capacity.
Using your account
There is a two-step enrollment process for the transportation benefits plan
1. Go to CityLife and enter a request
- Click on the CityLife icon on the desktop of any City computer
- Click "Services" and then submit an "HR Request"
- Click "Transportation" and follow the instructions
2. An e-mail confirmation will be sent to you from Do_Not_Reply_MemberServiceCenter@selectaccount.com with instructions on how to log in to the Online Member Service Center at hellofurther.com and make your selection. After you receive your confirmation e-mail, you have until the 4th of each month to make your election for the following month.
Reimbursement, changes and deadlines
For current participants to change election amounts or cancel participation in the plan, that change will be made by the participant on the Online Member Service Center at Further. Requests for reimbursements are also requested through the Online Member Service Center at Further.
Claims must be submitted no later than six months after the date the expense was incurred and you cannot be reimbursed for any expenses that arise before you became a participant in the plan. Any funds in your account at year-end will be rolled over to the next calendar year.
If you separate from service, you may continue to submit claims up to six months after the date you separate from service. Any remaining funds in your account which are not claimed at the end of that six-month period will be forfeited.