Pension plans

This page explains how the pension plan works. Most City of Minneapolis employees are required by state law to participate in pension plans administered by the Public Employees Retirement Association

What you need to know


These plans provide pension, disability, and survivor benefits that are based on your earnings history and covered service (with the City and with other public employers). You and the City both contribute a percentage of your pay to fund future benefits. Contribution rates are set by state law and change periodically to reflect changes in benefits and funding needs.

  • The PERA Coordinated Plan includes public employees who are subject to the rules and regulations of Social Security.
  • The PERA Police and Fire Plan includes public employees who serve as police officers and firefighters. Members of this plan are not subject to Social Security but they do pay Medicare taxes.

Go to PERA's website

Read the PERA website guide

Contact PERA by calling 651-296-7460

Eligible members of the PERA Coordinated Plan may enter phased retirement and begin to receive a PERA pension without separating from service as long as they agree to reduce hours worked and to retire at the end of the phased retirement period.

Go to the phased retirement page

Closed pension plans

City employees may participate in a pension plan that is closed to new members. For questions about these plans, please see the contact information below.

  • Minneapolis Police Relief Association, call 612-378-1449
  • Minneapolis Fire Relief Association, call 651-296-7460
  • Minneapolis Employee Retirement Fund (MERF), call 651-296-7460
  • Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (Union Central), call 1-800-825-4546

Supplemental union plans

Certain union-represented employees participate in supplemental, union-sponsored pension plans. Contact information for those plans is listed below:


Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Benefits Administration

Human Resources






City Hall
350 S. Fifth St., Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415