What you need to know
These plans provide pension, disability, and survivor benefits that are based on your earnings history and covered service (with the City and with other public employers). You and the City both contribute a percentage of your pay to fund future benefits. Contribution rates are set by state law and change periodically to reflect changes in benefits and funding needs.
- The PERA Coordinated Plan includes public employees who are subject to the rules and regulations of Social Security.
- The PERA Police and Fire Plan includes public employees who serve as police officers and firefighters. Members of this plan are not subject to Social Security but they do pay Medicare taxes.
Contact PERA by calling 651-296-7460
Eligible members of the PERA Coordinated Plan may enter phased retirement and begin to receive a PERA pension without separating from service as long as they agree to reduce hours worked and to retire at the end of the phased retirement period.
Closed pension plans
City employees may participate in a pension plan that is closed to new members. For questions about these plans, please see the contact information below.
- Minneapolis Police Relief Association, call 612-378-1449
- Minneapolis Fire Relief Association, call 651-296-7460
- Minneapolis Employee Retirement Fund (MERF), call 651-296-7460
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (Union Central), call 1-800-825-4546
Supplemental union plans
Certain union-represented employees participate in supplemental, union-sponsored pension plans. Contact information for those plans is listed below:
- Central Pension Fund of the IUOE, call 1-202-362-1000
- Laborers International Union of North America (LIUNA), call 1-800-544-7422
- Plumbers National Pension Fund, call 1-800-638-7442