Employees are eligible for City sponsored benefits on the first day of the month following the first day of employment. Waiting periods and participation start dates can be found in the policy or collective bargaining agreement governing your employment.
How to enroll
You enroll for benefits online using the COMET system. Go to Self Service>Benefits>Benefits Enrollment. You should enroll as soon as possible to ensure you have coverage on your benefit effective date.
Your eligible dependents may participate in the medical and dental plans. Eligible dependents include:
- Your spouse – the person to whom you are legally married
- Your children under age 26
- Your disabled children of any age
The term "children" includes:
- Natural children, stepchildren, adopted children and legal wards
- Grandchildren who reside with you continuously from birth and are financially dependent upon you
To ensure that your dependents are properly enrolled for benefits, please provide required dependent documentation by submitting it through CityLife.
During the initial enrollment period, you may also enroll for optional and dependent life insurance. Optional life insurance allows you to supplement the basic life insurance provided by the City. Dependent life insurance provides $5,000 coverage for each eligible dependent.