Governing Policy: Electronic Communications Policy
Policy Type: Enterprise; Check with the Departmental Policy Coordinator for procedures specific to each department.
Applies To: City Council Departments
Department Approval: City Clerk's Office
Effective Date: September 10, 2005
Keywords: Email, records, retention, record of value
Users shall appropriately classify email transactions. If they are determined to be a record of value, users shall adhere to the appropriate records retention requirement.
Identifying An Email Message As A Record Of Value
- The user (sender/recipient) determines the nature and content of the message sent via e-mail, and whether the message is a record of value.
- The user assigns the record to the proper record series. For example, messages that contain draft budget projections for a particular division may be categorized as budget work papers.
- The user consults with their department records management coordinator about retention requirements for specific documents.
- The user saves the message in a word processing or paper file and not within the e-mail system. The user must save the context with the message (from, sent date, to, subject)
- The user destroys the message according to the City’s records retention policies.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Users are responsible for identify and classifying email transactions and meeting the appropriate retention requirements.
- Supervisors and managers are responsible for educating staff about records retention guidelines and procedures.