Credit: Minneapolis 2040
An ordinance was introduced by Council President Bender and Council Member Schroeder on March 1, 2019, to amend regulations for residential buildings with up to three-units in lower-intensity districts, along with related development standards.
An ordinance was introduced by Council Member Schroeder on October 19, 2018, and by Council Member Schroeder and Council President Bender on November 2, 2019, to amend regulations for lot combinations in lower-density zoning districts.
The intent of these amendments is to implement policy guidance in Minneapolis 2040 by allowing more housing options in low-density districts, but within the same building scale and building size allowed for single-family dwellings.
Goals of the amendment
The amendment would allow duplexes and triplexes in more areas of the City where currently not allowed. As stated in Minneapolis 2040, goals of the amendment are to eliminate disparities, accommodate demand for growth, allow a variety of housing options throughout the city, and promote complete neighborhoods.
Applicable sections of the zoning code and subdivision ordinance
The following chapters of the zoning code and subdivision ordinance are expected to be impacted by the proposed ordinance and are under consideration as part of the amendment:
- Chapter 520, Introductory Provisions
- Chapter 521, Zoning Districts and Maps Generally
- Chapter 525, Administration and Enforcement
- Chapter 530, Site Plan Review
- Chapter 531, Nonconforming Uses and Structures
- Chapter 535, Regulations of General Applicability
- Chapter 536, Specific Development Standards
- Chapter 537, Accessory Uses and Structures
- Chapter 541, Off-Street Parking and Loading
- Chapter 546, Residence Districts
- Chapter 547, Office Residence Districts
- Chapter 551, Overlay Districts
- Chapter 598, Land Subdivision Regulations
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (August 22, 2019)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole—Special Meeting (September 16, 2019)
- City Planning Commission (October 7, 2019). This meeting includes the opportunity to provide testimony at a public hearing
- City Council Zoning & Planning Committee (October 31, 2019)
- Minneapolis City Council (November 8, 2019)
The ordinance will be in effect on January 1, 2020.
- Legislation Details: Regulations of Three-unit buildings in lower-intensity districts and related development standards ordinance (2019-00217)
- Legislation Details: Regulations of Lot combinations in lower-density zoning districts ordinance (2018-01198)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo (August 22, 2019)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo (September 16, 2019)
- Staff report and draft ordinance prepared for the City Planning Commission (October 7, 2019)
Contact Janelle Widmeier from CPED Code Development with any questions or comments.
For all media inquiries, please contact the City of Minneapolis Communications Department.