Temporary water discharge

You need a permit to discharge water to a storm drain or sanitary sewer.


Temporary water discharge is any discharge that is not a permanent connection to a:

  • Storm drain
  • Sanitary sewer
Groundwater in excavation pit


Letter of transmittal

When applying for a permit, you must submit a letter of transmittal, which describes your:

  • Activities
  • Need for discharge
  • Water sample analysis or reason samples are not required

Discharge to the sanitary sewer

Discharges to the sanitary sewer may require a permit from Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES). For forms and information, contact Mike Flaherty, Senior Engineer:

Send copies of your MCES permit application and sample analysis with your Minneapolis permit application.

State water appropriation permit

You need a Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) water appropriation permit for any discharge that exceeds:

  • 10,000 gallons a day
  • 1,000,000 gallons a year

See the Minnesota DNR Permitting and Reporting System

Site plan and sediment control plan

Submit a site plan showing:

  • Where you will collect the water
  • The requested discharge point
  • How the water will be moved

We also require a sediment control plan if the discharge is from standing water.

Additional permits

Your work may require additional permits from the:

  • City of Minneapolis
  • State of Minnesota

Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.

Contact Environmental Health Permit with questions

More information

To preserve public health and safety, the Minneapolis Commissioner of Health may:

  • Request additional information
  • Impose conditions as necessary

Note that a temporary water discharge permit does not give approval for a:

  • Permanent and continuously operating dewatering system
  • Permanent sewer connection

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Thomas Frame

Environmental Engineer
Minneapolis Health Department


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday