Rock crushing

You need a permit before using portable crushing machinery in an open area.


Temporary crushing activities include:

  • Crushing
  • Grinding
  • Pulverizing
  • Milling

Any of the following:

  • Razed or demolished buildings
  • Structural materials, roadway or other similar materials

See Minneapolis Ordinance 59.40


Crushed materials

  • Crushed materials must originate on the site where the temporary crushing activity occurs.
  • The Minneapolis Health Department can choose to waive the requirement.

Storage of material

The permit does not grant land use approval for storage of material.


You must place a temporary sign adjacent to the project site.

The sign must:

  • Measure three feet by four feet
  • List contact information for people conducting the temporary crushing activities:
    • Name
    • Address
    • Phone number
  • Be posted within 10 feet of all public rights-of-way adjacent to the project site



The company must make sure that a person responsible for the activities is available on a 24-hour basis either:

  • On site
  • By phone

Dust control measures

You must submit dust control measures for material:

  • Transport
  • Crushing
  • Temporary storage

We require these measures until the processed material is:

  • Reused on site
  • Transported off site


See Temporary rock crushing permit application

The permit is valid for only 120 consecutive calendar days from the start of activity.


See Environmental permit fees


Submit your application to Environmental Health Permit

Additional permits

Your work may require additional permits from the:

  • City of Minneapolis
  • State of Minnesota

Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.

Contact Environmental Health Permit with questions

Note that we will not issue an after hours work permit for temporary rock crushing.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Thomas Frame

Environmental Engineer
Minneapolis Health Department


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday