Outdoor amplified sound

You need a permit to use sound amplifying equipment outside for an event.


Outdoor amplified sound is noise that comes from sound amplifying equipment. An example is sound from a speaker system. 

Permits for outdoor sound amplifying equipment are based on three types:

Small events

Standard events

  • Standard event amplified sound permits
  • These are events at commercial properties or businesses

Large block events

Large block event permits issued in conjunction with a large block event, such as:

  • Basilica Block Party
  • Open Streets
  • Closed street parties
microphone on stage at night


Days and hours

You can only use an amplified sound system outdoors:

  • Monday through Saturday from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. 
  • Sunday from 7:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
  • On Sunday, you can use amplified sound until 10:00 p.m. if the location is not within 500 feet of any:
    • Residential building
    • Church

Written notice

When applying for an outdoor amplified sound permit, you must send written notice to:

  • Adjacent properties
  • Properties within a 300-foot radius

Special event outdoor amplified sound permit holders:

  • Must notify the neighborhood association in the area where the event is held.
  • Find a neighborhood association

You must include a copy of written notices with the permit application.


You can submit a permit application in one of three ways:

  • Online application, which is our preferred submission method, payment provided by phone call after processing and approval of the application 
  • Online application with secure credit card submission
  • PDF by email, mail or in person

See online amplified sound permit application

See online amplified sound permit application with secure credit card submission

See PDF amplified sound permit application


See Environmental permit fees

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Environmental Health Permit

Additional permits

Your work may require additional permits.

Read about special events

Do your due diligence to make sure you get all needed permits.

Contact Environmental Health Permit with questions

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis Health Department

Environmental Health Permit






Make payment in person at:

Public Service Building
Minneapolis Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Skyway level
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Mail a payment to:

Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday