What to know
Body Art businesses are:
- Responsible for making sure their business follows State and City regulations
- Inspected yearly
- Individual technicians:
- Are licensed through the State of Minnesota
- Must show proof of state license
- Must follow Minneapolis regulations
Body art businesses in Minneapolis are required to be licensed.
Submit your application
If you have questions, contact:
Plans are required for any new or remodeled body art business. See the Body Art Plan Review Guide .
Submit to Business Licensing:
- Massage and Body Art Plan Review application
- Copy of your plans
- Body Art Technicians Summary form
- Client release form
- Aftercare instructions
- Determine your plan review fee
Before opening, a Minneapolis health inspector must conduct a pre-opening inspection.
If you have questions, contact 311. Ask for an Environmental Health supervisor.
There are two types of temporary Body Art events:
- Larger shows or conventions where tattoo artists or piercers are invited to attend:
- Body artists set up single booths for Body Art
- These events are generally sponsored by the show or convention coordinator
- A larger show or convention event may be no longer than seven consecutive days
- Guest artist events:
- These are held at a licensed body art business
- They are generally sponsored by the business owner or a tattoo artist or piercer already licensed at the business
Submit the application with all required documents (listed on the application) and fee.
Contact 311 if you have questions. Ask for an Environmental Health supervisor.
Body art artists
All participating body art artists must:
- Be licensed or permitted by the State of Minnesota prior to the event
- Show proof of license or permit to Minneapolis Health Department staff
Submit the application with all required documents (listed on the application) and fee to Minneapolis Development Services.
Every event must have an event sponsor who:
- Submits the Tattoo/Body Art Establishment, Temporary Event Sponsor
- Makes sure the event follows state and local rules and regulations
- Makes sure artists have proper licenses and follow regulations and event guidelines
Information on this page should be considered guidelines. If you have questions, feel free to contact us.