Body art

Find information for businesses that do tattoos, piercing and other body art.


Body art businesses provide services such as:

  • Tattooing
  • Cosmetic tattooing
  • Microblading
  • Piercings (piercings of the outer perimeter of the ear or ear lobe do not require a permit)

Before you begin

Look at our information about:

What to know

Body Art businesses are:

  • Responsible for making sure their business follows State and City regulations
  • Inspected yearly
  • Individual technicians:
    • Are licensed through the State of Minnesota
    • Must show proof of state license
    • Must follow Minneapolis regulations


Body art businesses in Minneapolis are required to be licensed.

Submit your application

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

Plan review

Plans are required for any new or remodeled body art business. See the Body Art Plan Review guide

Submit the Body Art Plan Review application to the Health Department.

The application, in DocuSign, is the preferred method for applications for Body Art. On the site, enter your email address and name, then press begin signing. Then you can attach the items below along with credit card information for the fee.  

Body Art Plan Review application

Determine your plan review fee 

Attach to the application:

Before opening your business, a Minneapolis health inspector must conduct a pre-opening inspection. 

If you have questions, contact 311. Ask for an Environmental Health supervisor.

Temporary events

There are two types of temporary Body Art events:

  • Larger shows or conventions where tattoo artists or piercers are invited to attend:
    • Body artists set up single booths for Body Art
    • These events are generally sponsored by the show or convention coordinator
    • A larger show or convention event may be no longer than seven consecutive days
  • Guest artist events:
    • These are held at a licensed body art business
    • They are generally sponsored by the business owner or a tattoo artist or piercer already licensed at the business

Tattooing -

Submit the application with all required documents (listed on the application) and fee

Contact 311 if you have questions. Ask for an Environmental Health supervisor.

Body art artists

All participating body art artists must:

  • Be licensed or permitted by the State of Minnesota prior to the event
  • Show proof of license or permit to Minneapolis Health Department staff 

Submit the application with all required documents (listed on the application) and fee to Minneapolis Development Services.


Every event must have an event sponsor who:


Information on this page should be considered guidelines. If you have questions, feel free to contact us.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Environmental Health

Health Department




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave S, Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday