Secondhand goods

See license requirements for selling previously owned items.


New or used property that has been sold, traded, exchanged, consigned or otherwise disposed of by its original owner.

goods displayed in a window

Before you begin

See How to open a new business


A license is required for:

  • Antique Dealers
  • Antique Mall Operators
  • Auction House Dealers

One license is required for a business with multiple vendors using a single cash register.

A license is not required for:

  • Sales such as garage, yard or estate, held on private property, or by a charitable organization.
    • Items offered for sale are owned by the seller.
    • The seller runs the sale and receives the proceeds.
    • Sales are not longer than 72 hours.
    • There are no more than two sales in any 12 month period.
  • Sales of:
    • Books
    • Magazines
    • Post cards
    • Postage stamps
  • Sales by licensed:
    • Precious Metals Dealers
    • Pawnbrokers
    • Used Auto Parts Dealers
    • Flea Markets, Temporary Markets or Exhibitors
    • Public Market Vendors

License types

Class A

A Class A license is for 400 or more reportable transactions per year.

You must provide a surety bond with your application for a Class A license.

See the Minneapolis $5,000 bond

Class B

A Class B license is for 399 or fewer reportable transactions per year.

A bond is not required for a Class B license. 


Secondhand goods dealers in Minneapolis are required to be licensed. 

See Secondhand Goods Dealer Application

A Personal Information Form must be completed by the applicant, manager(s) and each owner.

See Personal Information Form


Find your license fee

Submit your application

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve only as guidelines. 

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday