Food handler training
Allergen awareness training
The food allergen awareness training is for all food workers.
The training includes information on:
- Top food allergens
- Identifying and preventing cross-contact risks
- Controlling allergens when preparing dishes
- How to communicate about allergens
- Recognizing and knowing what to do if a customer has an allergic reaction
The food allergen training is available in English and Spanish.
Food safety trainings
The food safety trainings are valuable for:
- Kitchen workers
- Servers and other front of house staff
- Volunteers serving food at events
You can choose from three trainings:
- Food Handler Level 1
- Food Handler Level 2
- Food Safety Essentials at Special Events and Festivals
The same topics are taught in all three trainings. Food Handler Level 2 is the most in-depth training.
The trainings and tests are available online anytime.
We award a food handler certificate and card to every person who successfully completes any training.
Training topics include:
- Keeping food safe
- Temperature danger zone
- Hot and cold holding
- Avoiding cross-contamination
- Cleaning and sanitizing
- Personal hygiene
Food Handler Level 1
- Ideal for people:
- Whose native language is not English
- Who have a visual learning style
- Have special learning needs
- Takes 30 to 45 minutes to complete
- Available in English
- Divided into five sections, each with a short test. You must answer all the questions correctly to move to the next section. You can take each test an unlimited number of times.
Food Handler Level 2
- Ideal for staff who would like a more in-depth training.
- Takes 60 to 90 minutes to complete
- Available in these languages:
- Mandarin Chinese
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- To receive the course certificate, you must pass a 30-question test with at least 21 correct answers. You can take the test twice.
Food Safety Essentials at Special Events and Festivals
- Ideal for staff and volunteers working with food or beverages at farmers markets and events
- Available in English and Spanish
- Takes 45 to 60 minutes to complete
- To receive the course certificate, you need to pass a 20-question test with at least 14 correct answers. You can take the test twice.
Free voucher codes
Request voucher codes
Minneapolis licensed food businesses and vendors at Minneapolis events and farmers markets can request free voucher codes for their staff.
Using a voucher code
To begin a food handler training:
- Visit Food Safety Training for Minneapolis
- Turn off your browser's pop-up blocker.
- Enter your voucher code in the Redeem Voucher box.
- Follow the prompts on your screen.
- You can save the training at any time and return to it later.
Setting up your account
To use your voucher code, set up an account.
When you are asked to enter personal information, you only need to enter your name. Your name will be printed on your certificate of completion.
You do not need to enter any other personal information. You can put an "x" in the other fields such as birthdate or address.
Follow the screen prompts to finish setting up your account.
Food workers outside of Minneapolis
Food workers outside Minneapolis can take food handler training. The cost is $20 per course. We accept the following forms of payment:
- Credit cards
- Debit cards
- Prepaid debit cards
Certified Food Protection Manger
The food handler trainings are not Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) classes.