Get a license starting in 2025
See how cannabis business licensing will work.
Understand the requirements
The State of Minnesota’s Office of Cannabis Management will issue licenses for all cannabis-related businesses.
In the coming year, the State will develop:
- License applications
- Industry rules
Look for license applications in early 2025.
- Businesses licensed by the State will need to register with the City.
- We will share details on the registration process at a later date.
We do not yet have location guidance for cannabis businesses.
- The State law allows cities to set zoning and related location policies for cannabis businesses.
- The City of Minneapolis expects to have local policies in place by mid-2024.
- We will seek feedback about land use regulations for cannabis businesses from:
- Business and property owners
- Other interested people
Financing your business
- There are no active grants or loan programs for cannabis businesses.
- The State expects to launch cannabis business loan programs in 2024.
The State Office of Cannabis Management will have a Social Equity division.
The State law gives preference to applications from social equity applicants.
- People convicted of possessing or selling cannabis
- Service-disabled veterans
- Current or former members of the National Guard
- Residents of a neighborhood with high cannabis enforcement
- Residents of census tracts with high poverty rates
Details will be available sometime in 2024.
Cannabis information from the City
Cannabis Insights newsletter
Sign up for news updates about cannabis in Minneapolis.
City of Minneapolis