White Castle #8

You can read about the history and designation of the White Castle #8 historic landmark.

About

 


1954

 


2006

Current Address: 3252 Lyndale Avenue South

Historic Address: 616 Washington Avenue Southeast; 329 Central Avenue Southeast

Neighborhood: Carag

Construction Date: 1936

Contractor: White Castle Restaurants

Architect: L.W. Ray

Architectural Style: Vernacular - Programmatic

Historic Use: Commercial - Restaurant

Current Use: Commercial - Retail

Date of Local Designation: 1984

Date of National Designation: 1986

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Cultural history

Period of Significance: 1936 -

Historic Profile: Known for 5 cent "Sliders," the White Castle Corporation brought fast food to Minneapolis in 1936. Originally located on Washington Avenue, White Castle #8 has occupied three locations. The arrival of White Castle Restaurants to Minneapolis marked the transition into the era of mass production; everything from frozen hamburger patties to the restaurant buildings themselves were made elsewhere and shipped to their sites. The portable rolled steel and porcelain castles have become universally recognized as White Castle’s trademark. Fifty-five of these portable castles were manufactured between 1928 and 1942, however, few still remain. White Castle #8 acts as a cultural artifact for the spread of the fast food phenomenon throughout the United States.

Photo Credits:

1954, Minneapolis Star, Central Avenue location, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Lyndale Avenue location, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," June 1986.

Updated: February 2007

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation

Phone

612-673-3000

Address

Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415