Sharei Zedeck Synagogue

You can read about the history and designation of the Sharei Zedeck Synagogue historic landmark.






Address: 1119 Morgan Avenue North

Neighborhood: Near North

Construction Date: 1936

Contractor: Louis Fleisher

Architect: Frenzel & Bernstein

Architectural Style: Utilitarian

Historic Use: Religious - synagogue

Current Use: Religious - church

Date of Local Designation: 1998

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Social History; Ethnic Heritage

Period of Significance: 1936-

Historic Profile: The Sharei Zedeck Synagogue remains a tangible link to the once thriving Orthodox Jewish population in near north Minneapolis. It was one of four synagogues built on the near north side in the early park of the 20th-century. The simplicity of Sharei Zedeck’s design was most likely influenced by financial hardships suffered during the Great Depression. The plain brick exterior is augmented by two massive stone arches which dominate the façade surrounding the double-leaf doors. The arches are decorated with menorahs arranged around a center brick pilaster. The framing of the building represents an early use of structural glued laminated timber arches which were widely used beginning in the 1950s. The synagogue was sold in 1969 to St. John’s Missionary Baptist Church, reflecting the transition of the near north neighborhood from a Jewish to an African-American community.

Photo Credits:

1948, Minneapolis Star Tribune, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," May 1996.

Updated: February 2007

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415