Pease-Rollins House

Read about the history and designation of the Pease-Rollins House historic landmark.


The Pease-Rollins House is one of the oldest buildings in Minneapolis.

  • Location: 101 Island Avenue West
  • Neighborhood: Nicollet Island – East Bank

Historic photo (1979)

Pease-Rollins House historic landmark at 814 University Avenue Southeast in 1979


Current photo (1990)

Pease-Rollins House historic landmark at 101 Island Avenue West circa 1990




  • Architectural Style: Greek Revival 
  • Architect: Unknown


  • Historic use: Residential
  • Current use: Residential


  • Construction date: circa 1864
  • Contractor: Unknown


  • Area(s) of significance: Undefined
  • Period of significance: Undefined
  • Date of local designation: 1986
  • Date of National Register designation: N/A
  • Designation: Exterior

Historic profile

The Pease-Rollins House is one of the oldest buildings in Minneapolis. It was built circa 1864 at 814 University Avenue Southeast. The house was built for Roger M.S. Pease, a bookkeeper. In 1915, Fred M. Rollins bought the house, which stayed in his family for several decades.

In 1986, Jeff and Dorothy Siegel purchased the house from the Rollins family. They moved the house to Nicollet Island due to redevelopment pressures in Southeast Minneapolis. The Siegels also owned and restored the Meader-Farnham House, located next door at 105 Island Avenue West. A total of five houses were moved to Nicollet Island around this time.

This house displays several features of the Greek Revival style. This style was popular in the mid-1800s for early houses in Minneapolis. It has a front-facing gable roof with eave returns at the corners. This makes the façade look like a pediment. There are Doric pilasters at the corners. The main entrance has a flat lintel above and Doric pilasters on either side.


Photo credit

  • 1979 photo at 814 University Avenue Southeast: Courtesy of Hennepin County Library
  • Circa 1990 photo at 101 Island Avenue West: Courtesy of Hennepin County Library

Work cited

  • Camille Kudzia, “Draft National Register of Historic Places Nomination-Inventory Form: R.M.S. Pease House,” September 1981
  • Skyway News archives
  • Star Tribune archives

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415