Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District

You can read about the history and designation of the Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District.


Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District Design Guidelines 

1915, 2400 Bryant Avenue South, Minnesota Historical Society

2014, CPED Staff

Addresses: Portions of the 2400 block of Colfax Avenue South; the 2300 and 2400 blocks of Bryant Avenue South and Aldrich Avenue South; and 811 and 911 West 24th Street.

Neighborhood: Lowry Hill East

Construction Dates: circa 1882 - 1920

Contractors: Theron Potter Healy, Henry Ingham, and others

Architects: William Kenyon, Edward S. Stebbins, William Channing Whitney, and others

Architectural Styles: Colonial Revival, Queen Anne, Arts & Crafts, Prairie

Historic Use: Residential

Current Use: Residential

Date of Local Designation: 2015

Date of National Designation: N/A

Area of Significance: Streetcar related development, master architects, master builders, architecture

Period of Significance: 1882 - 1920

Historic Profile: Within the Lowry Hill East neighborhood there is a remarkable and eclectic collection of turn of the 19th and 20th century residences along the 2300 and 2400 blocks of Aldrich, Bryant and Colfax Avenues South. This neighborhood was developed as a typical example of the “streetcar suburb” where urban development followed the expansion of public transit service. Houses within the district feature wood balloon-frame construction and the majority retain original horizontal siding and fenestration patterns, consisting of double-hung sashes and fixed windows. House heights generally range from two to two-and-one-half stories and were constructed primarily in the Colonial Revival or Queen Anne architectural styles. The Arts & Crafts and Prairie architectural styles are also represented. The streetscapes of the Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District are created by the interplay of high pitched rooflines, open balustrade front porches, and bay windows set alongside tree-lined boulevards.

The collection of residences in this district developed due to the collaboration of talented local architects, builder-contractors, and the new middle and upper classes. Architects of the neighborhood included Downs & Eads, Warren B. Dunnell, William Kenyon, Long, Lamoreaux & Long, Edward Stebbins and William Channing Whitney. Theron P. Healy and Henry Ingham were among the neighborhood’s builders. As a whole, these intact resources possess physical characteristics that form a concentration of residential buildings with continuity of design and visual appearance through the use of similar setbacks, proportion, scale, material and use of ornamentation. 

Photo Credits:

Photographer unknown, 1915. Minnesota Historical Society

2014, CPED staff

Works Cited:

“Designation Study: Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District” (2015)

Updated: June 2015

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415