Linden Hills Methodist and Episcopal Church

You can read about the history and designation of the Linden Hills Methodist and Episcopal Church historic landmark.

Dharma Field Zen Center

About

 


1982

 

 


2006

 

Current Address: 3118 West 49th Street

Historic Address: Upton Ave. and W. 44th St.

Neighborhood: Fulton

Construction Date: 1907

Contractor: Emil Johnson

Architect: Downs and Eads

Architectural Style: Tudor Revival, Craftsman

Historic Use: Religious - Church

Current Use: Spiritual Facility

Date of Local Designation: 1987

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900 -

Historic Profile: Constructed in 1907, the Linden Hills Methodist Episcopal Church was designed to blend into the predominantly residential neighborhood. Architects Harry T. Downs and Harold H. Eads employed the Tudor Craftsman Style, a style very common among residential architecture, but uncommon for churches. The stucco exterior, simple box-like configuration, a prominent entrance porch, and a multi-gable roof have maintained their original integrity even though the building has relocated and changed owners numerous times. In 1916 St. Andrews Lutheran Church purchased the building and moved it from its location on Upton Avenue to its current location on 49th Street. In 1949 a bell tower was constructed, but has recently (2001) been removed in an effort to restore the original design.

Photo Credits:

1982, Unknown

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," September 1985.

Updated: February 2007

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation

Phone

612-673-3000

Address

Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415