Franklin B. Long House

You can read about the history and designation of the Franklin B. Long House historic landmark.

About

 


1896

 


2006

Address: 25 Groveland Terrace

Neighborhood: Lowry Hill

Construction Date: 1894

Contractor: J.H. McClay

Architect: Long and Kees

Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Commercial - Offices

Date of Local Designation: 1984

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, master architects

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: The Franklin B. Long House is significant as one of the most impressive surviving examples of 1890s Romanesque residential architecture in the city. Designed by the partnership of Long and Kees, the house served as a showpiece of the firm’s work as well as Long’s residence from 1895-1900. The firm also designed the three noteworthy Richardsonian Romanesque commercial buildings in the city: Minneapolis City Hall, the Masonic Temple building, and the Lumber Exchange Building. The Long House, essentially a single gabled roof volume, with its narrow porch end facing the street, conveys a sense of massive permanence through its design. The Long House is in excellent condition and, with the exception of minor alteration, has retained its original integrity.

Photo Credits:

1896, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

City of Minneapolis, "National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," August 1983.

Updated: February 2007

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation

Phone

612-673-3000

Address

Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415