Flour Exchange Building

You can read about the history and designation of the Flour Exchange Building historic landmark.

Address: 310 4th Avenue South

Neighborhood: Downtown West

Construction Date: 1892, 1909

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Long and Kees

Architectural Style: Chicago Commercial

Historic Use: Commercial

Current Use: Commercial

Date of Local Designation: 1980

Date of National Register Designation: 1977

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture, Commerce

Period of Significance: 1893, 1909-


Historic Profile: In 1893 construction of the Flour Exchange Building was abruptly halted after only four stories had been built. A financial panic sweeping through cities around the country resulted in a run on the banks in Minneapolis and the bankruptcies of many businesses. By 1909, the remaining seven stories were completed, resulting in an eleven-story brick Chicago commercial style building. Long and Kees’ design was a straightforward expression of the building’s function, not an adaptation of historic details. In a time of numerous elaborate revival styles of architecture, the design for the Flour Exchange set a precedent in Minneapolis, leading the way for other buildings such as the Butler Brother’s building (1906), with modern characteristics.

Photo Credits:

1910, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

Still Needed 2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," November 1976.


Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415