Fire Station #28

You can read about the history and designation of the Fire Station #28 historic landmark.

About

 
1936


1936

2006


2006

Address: 2724 West 43rd Street

Neighborhood: Linden Hills

Construction Date: 1914

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Downs and Eads

Architectural Style: 20 th Century Period Revival

Historic Use: Public – Fire Station

Current Use: Commercial

Date of Local Register Designation: 1995

Date of National Designation: 1993

Area of Significance: Community development

Period of Significance: 1914-1943

 

Historic Profile: As the population of Minneapolis boomed by seventy-five percent between 1900 and 1920, Linden Hills developed from a remote lakeside community to a fully integrated neighborhood. The establishment of permanent residences and businesses prompted the expansion of many municipal services to the outskirts of the city. Fire Station #28 (1914), along with the Lake Harriet Public School (1898), a city sewer system (1905), and the Linden Hills Library (1911) is representative of the spread of city services into the far corners of municipal limits. Station #28 was the second-to-last fire station commissioned by the city and was the first to be built solely for the use of motorized vehicles. In contrast to horse-drawn rigs which required more space, time and care, motorized trucks were relatively inexpensive and efficient. Motorized fire-fighting trucks reformed the service by expanding territorial coverage and decreasing response time.

Photo Credits:

1936, A.F. Raymond, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," May 1993. 

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation

Phone

612-673-3000

Address

Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415