Eugene Carpenter House

You can read about the history and designation of the Eugene Carpenter House historic landmark.

Clifton Court






Address: 300 Clifton Avenue

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1906

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Edwin H. Hewitt

Architectural Style: Georgian Revival

Historic Use: Residential - Single Family Dwelling

Current Use: Residential – Single Family Dwelling

Date of Local Designation: 1978

Date of National Register Designation: 1977

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1900-

Historic Profile: Situated on a small bluff overlooking Loring Park, the Eugene Carpenter House at 300 Clifton Avenue, as it exists today, is the result of an extensive alteration. Prior to moving in Eugene Carpenter renovated the house from a Queen Anne style frame residence to a two-story Georgian Revival design. The architect, Edwin H. Hewitt, removed the wrap-around porches and multi-gabled roof and replaced them with a symmetrical façade under a dormered hipped roof. The renovated home was occupied by Eugene J. Carpenter, a Minneapolis lumberman and prominent patron of the arts. He held an executive position with the Carpenter Brothers Lumber Company and was vice-chairman of the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts until his death in 1922.

Photo Credits:

1915, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1977.

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415