Owre House

You can read about the history and designation of the Owre House historic landmark.





Circa 1983




Address: 2625 Newton Avenue South

Neighborhood: Kenwood

Construction Date: 1912

Contractor: Purcell, Feick & Elmslie

Architect: Purcell, Feick & Elmslie

Architectural Style: Prairie School

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Private Residence

Date of Local Designation: 1983

Date of National Register Designation: 1984

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture; Master architects

Period of Significance: 1900-

Historic Profile: The Dr. Oscar Owre House is significant for its Prairie School design by the prominent Minnesota architectural firm of Purcell, Feick and Elmslie. The house was constructed in 1912 for Dr. Owre, a University of Minnesota medical school professor. The design for the Owre house focuses on a central cube form which extends outward through the use of porches. Overlooking Lake of the Isles, the front façade features a glassed-in porch that takes advantage of the view. The massing of the plan, use of surface materials and fenestration all reflect the Prairie School design tradition. The architectural partnership of Purcell and Fieck was formed in 1907, and in 1909 Elmslie joined the team from the offices of Loius Sullivan. Together, these architects were responsible for many excellent examples, like the Owre House, of the Prairie tradition in Minneapolis.

Photo Credits:

Circa 1983, Unknown

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

City of Minneapolis, "National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," March 1982.

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415