Charles C. Bovey House

You can read about the history and designation of the Charles C. Bovey House historic landmark.

About

 
1957


1957

2006


2006

Address: 400 Clifton Avenue

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction date: 1916

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: Howard Shaw

Architectural style: Colonial Revival

Historic use: Private Residence

Current use: Commercial - Offices

Date of local designation: 1986

Date of National Register Resignation: N/A

Area(s) of significance: Architecture

Period of significance: 1900 -

Historic profile: Notable as a fine, well-preserved example of early 20th-century urban residential architecture, the Bovey Residence is remarkable structurally in that it was one of the first applications of reinforced concrete construction in the Twin Cities. Howard Shaw, the Chicago-based architect, created a Federal-style, flat-roofed, brick envelope about an Italianate plan. Photographic evidence points to the fact that the structure served as an elegant home for a wealthy Minneapolis citizen and his family. The plan fortuitously allows present-day use as offices for an architectural firm with little alteration or plan disruption.

Photo credits:

1957, Norton and Peel, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Work cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1983.

Updated: February 2007

 

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation

Phone

612-673-3000

Address

Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415