Camden Park State Bank

You can read about the history and designation of the Camden Park State Bank historic landmark.



1928, Norton and Peel


2014, CPED Staff

Address: 705 42nd Avenue North

Neighborhood: Camden

Construction Date: 1910, 1920

Contractor: Charles Johnson

Architect: Septimus James Bowler, Ernest C. Haley

Architectural Style: Vernacular Neoclassical

Historic Use: Bank, mortuary, post office, professional offices, retail, community lodge, ballroom

Current Use: Restaurant, offices, hair salon

Date of Local Designation: 2015

Date of National Designation: N/A

Area of Significance: Streetcar development, community identity, master architects

Period of Significance: 1910-1954

Historic Profile: The Camden Park State Bank is significant as the most visible remnant of the Camden Community’s business district, as well as for its association with Minneapolis’ streetcar heritage and architects Septimus James Bowler and Ernest C. Haley.

The roots of today’s Camden Community lie in the former Town of Camden, which developed around mills and brickyards located along Shingle Creek near its junction with the Mississippi River. The first mill was built in 1852, and by the 1880s a small, largely industrial town had developed. Camden’s former business district was located at the six-way intersection of Washington Avenue North, Lyndale Avenue North, 42nd Avenue North, and Webber Parkway. Camden was annexed by Minneapolis in 1887, and streetcar service was extended to the business district in 1890, leading to further commercial growth.

The 1910 portion of the Camden Park State Bank building was built to house a community hall with retail below, and the 1920 addition housed the bank itself, along with various offices and services on the upper floors. Throughout the 1920s and 30s the building was a centerpiece of Camden’s commercial district, housing a wide variety of community services, including a bank, post office, lodge, ballroom, mortuary, doctor, dentist, lawyer, and insurance agent. During the construction of Interstate 94, the intersection was reconfigured and Camden’s entire business district was demolished, with the exception of the Camden Park State Bank and two smaller single-story commercial buildings.

Photo Credits:

1928, Norton & Peel, Minnesota Historical Society

2014, CPED Staff

Work Cited:

“Designation Study: Camden Park State Bank” 2015

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415